Microsoft Windows 11 system requirement, news, updates, and technical details
Microsoft announced the news of the forthcoming new Windows 11 on 24th June 2021 and by 28th June an Insider Preview was publicly available. Microsoft Windows 11 is going to be the successor of Microsoft Windows 10.
The official release version of Windows 11 is expected to be out by end of the year 2021. Windows 11 will be available as a free upgrade to compatible Windows 10 devices through Windows Update.
What are the system requirements and technical details of the new Windows operating system?
Technical Details and System Requirements
There are two important system requirements for Windows 11 which will make most computers incompatible. The emphasis for system requirements is placed on the security with the TPM and secure boot capabilities of the machine.
TPM or Trusted Platform Module is an international standard for a secure cryptoprocessor and it’s a dedicated microcontroller designed to secure hardware through integrated cryptographic keys.
- Processor:1 GHz or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor. (Microsoft provides a list of compatible processors on its website).
- RAM:4 gigabytes or more
- Storage:64 GB or larger storage device (such as a hard drive or SSD)
- System Firmware:UEFI and Secure Boot capable
- TPM:Trusted Platform Module 2.0 (common on motherboards manufactured after 2016)
- Graphics Card:Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver
- Display:An HD display at least 720p (1280×720) resolution larger than 9″ diagonal, 8-bits per color channel
Additional requirements for optional functionality
|5G support||5G capable modem|
|Auto HDR||HDR capable monitor|
|Biometric authentication and Windows Hello||Illuminated infrared camera or fingerprint reader|
|BitLocker to Go||USB flash drive (available in Windows 11 Pro and higher editions)|
|Hyper-V||Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)|
|DirectStorage||NVMe Solid-state drive and a DirectX 12 Ultimate graphics card with Shader Model 6.0|
|DirectX 12 Ultimate||Available with supported games and graphics cards|
|Spatial sound||Supporting hardware and software|
|Two-factor authentication||Use of PIN, biometric authentication, or a phone with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth capabilities|
|Wi-Fi 6E support||New WLAN IHV hardware and driver, Wi-Fi 6E capable AP/router|
|Windows Projection||Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct, WDDM 2.0|