Can you purchase Microsoft Project and Visio as a self-service in Microsoft 365? Yes, Microsoft has announced a major update of self-service purchase capabilities for Project and Visio.
Beginning last year 2019 Microsoft shared the intention of enabling individuals and teams to purchase select services directly. Today in August 2020 Microsoft has announced that self-service purchasing capabilities are coming soon for Microsoft Project and Microsoft Visio products.
Individuals worldwide (excluding India) will be able to acquire a subscription for these products as early as September 15, 2020. And the plans are:
According to Microsoft, this change will not impact any existing settings you may have in place in your Microsoft 365 managing self-service purchasing. Additionally, self-service purchase capabilities are not available for customers who are eligible for Government or Education offers.
How does Self-service purchase capability affect you
- As an administrator, if you prefer to limit these capabilities, you can do so on a per-product basis.
- Project and Visio are available for control starting August 16th via PowerShell.
- You can also take control of any of your user’s self-service purchases, allowing you to move them from a self-service purchase to another license or to cancel their subscriptions completely.
- Additionally, we’ve released the ability for users who are prevented from making their own purchases to make a request for a license or for you as an admin to point users to an existing license request process. These features will give you the ability to control how users acquire software within your organization.
What you need to do to prepare
- Ensure your settings are configured correctly to manage self-service purchasing as appropriate for your organization.
- Additionally, to help prepare your organization for the release of self-service purchase for Project and Visio, check out these additional resources: